Friday, August 15, 2008

FO!

Evidently a short break from the Fish Socks was all that was necessary to spur me on to the finish. This afternoon while Sweetie was napping I completed the final two rounds on the leg and then it was on to the toe decreases. When I do this type of toe, maybe it's called a round toe? I always drop on stitch on one of the final rounds. A not-brief description of the decreases would be

round 1: *k6, k2tog*
next 6 rounds, knit even
round 8: *k5, k2tog*
next 5 rounds, knit even
round 15: *k4, k2tog*
next 4 rounds, knit even
round 20:
*k3, k2tog*
next 3 rounds, knit even
round 23:
*k2, k2tog*
next 2 rounds, knit even
round 26:
*k1, k2tog*
round 27: knit
round 28: k2tog
round 29: k2tog (if necessary)
then run a needle through the remaining 6-8 stitches twice and draw up.

On the first sock I had three dropped stitches where the first or second stitch of the k2tog wouldn't have made it onto the needle. I caught two of them only a round or two past where I'd missed them. The last one didn't show up until I'd woven in all the ends. So I just took one of the leftover ends from weaving in the ends and secured the errant stitch on the inside. On the second sock I had none . . . so far.

I'm so pleased with these socks. These are from a pattern I wanted to knit as soon as I saw them in Nancy Bush's book Knitting Vintage Socks. I got the book on Oct 27, 2005. But I didn't DO lace then. I wasn't a lace knitter. So every time I got the book down for inspiration I would look at those socks and think, someday. When I saw them on Grumpernia's blog I liked them even more. I'd even bought yarn for them — two hanks of Louet Gems in lilac. But I Still didn't do lace. Along the way I found even better yarn, the Shaefer Anne yarn in Silver Sage. I had the pattern. I had the yarn. But I didn't DO lace.

Almost two years ago I decided to DO lace. The Mermaid Socks. A simply lace pattern there could not be. The same damn 6 or so stitches for the ENTIRE pattern. I think those socks were even more difficult that the first socks I did. Then I did a pair of lace socks for my SIL, the Waving Lace Socks and I was roped into doing a lace baby blanket which was the Frosty Pink Baby Blanket. Suddenly, I'm doing lace and lots of it. My lace knitting got better. A lot better.

And so the time came that it was right and I cast on with the yarn, pattern in hand. It was a match made in knitting heaven. I'd knit the cuff, the entire leg and almost a dozen rows on the first sock and decided that if I made it a bit larger around I could knit a longer leg and see more that wonderful pattern. And so I frogged it and cast on again. I was able to 15 more rounds which isn't a lot but it seemed to have made a difference. I was concerned that although there was a strand of nylon in the yarn that I'd soon have a heel blow out so I doubled the yarn and did an eye of partridge heel and turned the heel with the yarn doubled. So now I have another beautiful pair of socks.

Here are the stats:
yarn: Schaefer Yarn ~ Anne
colorway: silver sage
pattern: Child's First Sock in Shell Pattern from Nancy Bush's book Knitting Vintage Socks
needles: 2.5mm Suzanne ebony dpns (set of 5)
heel: heel flap & turned heel
amount of yarn used: 3 oz / 86 gr ~ approx 418 yards ~ 3/4 hank
amount of yarn left: 1.1 oz / 31 gr ~ approx 151 yards ~ 1/4 hank

blogging to: Pandora Radio seeded with Marc Antione

reading: Snow Blind by P J Tracy (a Monkeewrench mystery)

Parting Shot: "I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker." ~ Helen Keller

1 comment:

Roxie said...

Gorgeous socks! Yayyy!!!