Sunday, January 20, 2008

Ménage à Trois

The photos in my last post taught me a lesson I seem to keep needing. There are great photos everywhere, in everyday things. I just have to take the time to see them and then take a little more time to get up off my arse, get the camera so you can see them, too.

That's 2½" of Sweetie's Country Sock in the snow. 20 cuff rounds and 9 leg rounds. You can see subtle color variations in the yarn. It was 23°F./-5°C. and I was losing the light so no artfully staged photos. Other than the yarn is BLACK, I'm using 2.5 mm dpns and I have to knit right under the Ott light or next to a window the knitting's going OK. The yarn's far from scratchy wool but it's not as soft as some I've knit with. I hope it'll be like Trekking and soften up with use.

This is one of the deer that visit our backyard almost nightly now. I took this Friday around 6 pm cst. Dumb suburban dwellers that we are we're feeding them corn still on the cobs that we're getting from the farm store at the edge of town. The other night we had six. We've learned to take in our bird feeders otherwise they're empty by morning. The deer seem to knock their heads against the swinging feeders then eat the feed that spills out onto the ground. They could also be sticking their tongues into the openings at the feeding stations on the feeder and doing it that way Another reason we've begun to take the feeders in is we've run out of extra perches to replace the ones the deer break.

And finally, the Peachy Keen scarf. This top photo is the "right" side and the next one down is the "wrong" side according to the pattern.The "right" side is smoother and has a more finished look. I like 'em both and wouldn't care which side was up.

The finished scarf is 7½ feet long and 6 inches wide. The scarf is 37 rows wide. I held the yarn doubled and it's still thin. The texture of the stitches makes the scarf look like it has depth or layers, an outside, middle and other side. But it's one layer. The scarf feels very airy but with all that trapped air, it's bound to be warm.

From four 25 gram skeins, I have 5 grams left, about 45 yards. Timed that pretty well, I'm a thinkin'.

I've e-mail my SIL that I have the scarf done and she's going to send me the recipient's snail mail address. I'm writing a letter, telling about the scarf, including all the particulars that a knitter would want to know. I'd rather send more info than not enough. In the package I'm also including a small bottle of wool wash. Yes, it finally came. More about that in my next post.

This final photo is the scarf against the light, draped over the glass front door. That's something I'll never tire of. Holding my knitting to the light so I can see the pattern of light and dark in the stitches. Kinda hard with socks in the round but easy-peasy with flat knitting.

I've still got most of the three skeins of lilac Punch by Alpaca with a Twist yarn I got for the other guilt scarf two years ago. Wonder what I'll make with that and who'll get it? Well, I guess that's what stash is for.

blogging to: Café de Luna

reading: Tug of War by Barbara Cleverly

Parting Shot: "If you cannot be a poet, be the poem." ~ David Carradine

1 comment:

Roxie said...

Get out the binoculars. Soon you'll be able to identify individual deer and learn who your regulars are. When I house sat my brother's cabin, there were four does that I called "The bridge club." they showed up to graze the lawn just about every morning. Then one morning, they had a couple of fawns with them!

The scarf is soo gorgeous. And it will fluff up more as it's worn. Lucky the wearer!