Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Last FO of 2007! (so far)

I finished Sweetie's Burr Oak socks today. I didn't think I'd have another since my Nautical Striped sweater was supposed to be taking center stage. But how can you not knit on something that garners such praise and longing every time you bring them out!

Sweetie does enjoy the other socks I knit for him but somehow the others I knit for me and these were knit competely and totally for him. He wanted plain, he got plain. With no cabling they're surprisingly heavy. It must be because the foot is long and the leg is tallish.

Yarn: Koigu ~ 1 hank from Patternworks bought a couple of years ago and 2 hanks of souvenir yarn from String of Purls in Omaha, NE purchased this past September specifically to become one with the lone hank for these socks.

Colorway: natural ~ no difference at all between the hanks

Pattern: Oak Ribbed Socks from the book Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush. This make a total of six of her sock patterns I've knit. This doesn't count the two of her patterns I still have on the needles (Country Socks and Child's First Sock in Shell Pattern).

Pattern Details & Modifications:

  • I cast on 91 stitches using the cable cast on and used the extra stitch join.
  • I did my usual Eye of Partridge ( I think that's what's it called) heel flap and turned the heel using a wrap method which I've never done before. I picked that part up from doing the short row heels. Can't really see much difference and it adds a step each time you turn so I may not do that again.
  • I also used Kathy's (aka Grumpernia) way of picking up gusset stitches the pretty way. That's become my way.
  • A while back (about the same time as the pretty gusset stitches, I think) I started knitting the first round of the gusset stitches through the back loop. It goes well with the way I picked up gusset stitches and I read somewhere that when you knit through the back loop it tightens the stitch. As that whole picked up area can be a bit loose and wonky that's what I do. I start my decreases on the round after I knit through the back loop on the gusset stitches.
  • I carried the pattern down the instep to the toe decreases.
  • I did one of my usual toes. I don't know what it's called but it's the same toe Grumperina used on her Jaywalker socks which is where I got it when I knit two of those suckers.
  • I decreased down to 7 stitches and kitchnered the toes together.
Needles: I cast on with my usual 3 mm bamboo dpns then switched to my usual 2.5 mm needles for the rest of the sock, using the Suzanne ebony dpns this time. I love my ebony needles. They are very slick and the yarn just glides over them.

These socks make the 26th pair I've knit; sock #51 & #52. I stared these on November 17 and finished December 23. I didn't knit on them every day and it seems like I spent quite a bit of time on the Paws to Remember Shawl and my Nautical Striped sweater but maybe not as neither of those two projects are as far along as I want. But, oh well.

I'm going to TRY to keep Sweetie from wearing them until I take take them around Christmas Day to show off. I may not have any luck and folks may just have to admire a damp pair socks!

blogging to: Audiovisions on XML

reading: Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire by J K Rowling

Parting Shot:
"On the first day of winter,
the earth awakens to the cold touch of itself.
Snow knows no other recourse except
this falling, this sudden letting go
over the small gnomed bushes, all the emptying trees.
Snow puts beauty back into the withered and malnourished,
into the death-wish of nature and the deliberate way
winter insists on nothing less than deference.
waiting all its life, snow says, "Let me cover you."
~ Laura Lush, The First Day of Winter

1 comment:

Roxie said...

Such love-full socks! I don't blame him for wanting to wear them right NOW! Let him. Life is short and joy is fleeting and plain warm socks are an act of devotion. Let him show them off on his feet if he likes.