Monday, July 16, 2007

Tedious Knitting but a Clear Conscious

Some projects start and end well. Other start well and on the second sock sorta not do as well. The second sock was the first sock in all the time that I've been mostly just a socknitter (3+ years now) that I almost didn't want to finish. I had no trouble casting on (maybe because I was at the lake on the dock dangling my feet in the cool water) but after I did the first two rounds or so I kind of had to push myself to knit on it. After I sent SIL's sock off for a fitting it was a bit easier.

I don't think I'm losing my socknitting love, however. Two reasons, I think. One, about that time I cast on and knit the cuff and one pattern repeat of the Waving Lace socks in the Lemon Ice colorway from Claudia's Hand Painted yarn. That yarn is sooo soft. Last year I bought some of her yarn on-line (my very first internet yarn purchase) and I was amazed at the softness. I thought Koigu was soft but this was even better. When I discovered that my LYS began to carry it I held off for a couple of months then succumbed. I just love the colorway and the pattern (once I got past the cuff).

And the second reason is that although I was doing a stripe and varying the stripiness by whim so I wouldn't get bored with just a rib, once I had the first sock done, there was no mystery as to what the second sock would look like. I'll have to keep in mind for future cotton striped socks to make the second sock a fraternal instead of an identical twin.

This knit was also hard on my Colonial rosewood 2mm dpns. Prior to my recent introduction to short row heels, this Fortissima cotton was the only yarn I used with the 2mm dpns. They are much more fragile than my "everyday" Suzanne 2.5mm dpns. By the end of the first sock, I'd broken off about half of the tips. When I emptied a needle I had to make sure I was knitting with the sharp end each time. When I finished the first sock I took some 220 grit sandpaper and sanded new tips on all five needles. By the time I'd turned the heel on the second sock, I'd broken a few of the tips again. When I was doing the toe decreases, I split one about 2" down and a little later another about a ½" down. I'll sand tips on 'em again, even the shorter ones and put them away for the next sock. I do have a full set of 2mm Clover bamboo dpns and 4 Birch ones so I'm not stuck if I break one in half.

But anyway, the Madder Rib blue and red striped socks are done. With a clear conscious (except for the two sweaters but they don't count as they're sweaters and this is socknitting) I can pick up the Waving Lace sock for SIL. Ahhh, wool. Good wool.
It's been too hot and no wind so no sailing. The wind is "supposed" to be better Tuesday but still hot, in the mid 90's. Maybe we'll get an evening sail in. Take a close look at the the water photo (click for bigger). See the calm water swirl. When we tack (turn the bow of the boat through the wind) that's what the boat does to the water as it turns.

The day lily below is a smaller but fragrant one. I got this one a couple of years ago from a local garden center but I can't locate the tag. I also planted one in the neighbor's garden as a thank you for something but there's no tag there either and the neighbor I planted it for has moved and we've lost touch. Oh, well.
SIL got the OK from her doctor. She can put weight on her ankle and "walk". Everything healed well and now it's onto several months of physical therapy. I don't know yet if she feels comfortable enough to drive. It was her right ankle/foot so that may take a little more time.

blogging to: classical music on the radio

reading: Mansions of the Dead by Sarah Stewart Taylor

Parting Shot: "I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself." ~ Sir Peter Smithers
Quote Source

1 comment:

Roxie said...

Hooray on working through that second sock block! Bummer about the needles, though. Still, little short needles are great for fingers on gloves, so just keep sanding them down as the breaks occur. What a clever, handy woman you are.